Stuffed Acorn Squash
- 2 acorn squash (please wash and scrub the skin to rinse off any dirt)
- 2-3 Tbs olive oil
- 1 small onion, small diced
- 3-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 box cremini mushrooms, small diced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt n pepper
- 1 can 15oz size tomato sauce
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
*Cook one acorn squash at a time if your microwave and toaster oven only fits 2 halves*
1. CAREFULLY slice open the acorn squash in half, lengthwise (top to bottom) and scoop out the seeds.
2. In a shallow baking dish, place cut side down, with a little water to barely cover the bottom, microwave for 15minutes, in 5 minute increments, checking for doneness around 13-15 minute mark. Should be “fork tender”. Leave in microwave until ready to “stuff”.
3. Heat oil in large sauté pan on medium heat, sauté onions and garlic until soft.
4. Add mushrooms and sauté until shriveled (they will have released and evaporated a lot of water)
5. Add turkey and crumble until cooked through. Sprinkle in Italian seasoning, pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper (red pepper flakes optional!)
6. Stir in tomato sauce until heated through
7. Turn acorn squash over so skin side is facing down. Fill each squash “well” with turkey mixture. Sprinkle tops with cheese
8. Place in toaster oven and “broil” tops until cheese is bubbly and melty!
- BMI < 20
- BMI 20 - 24.9
- healthy weight
- BMI 25 - 29.9
- BMI 30 - 34.9
- BMI 35 - 39.9
- severe obesity
- BMI 40 - 49.9
- morbid obesity
- BMI > 50
- super morbid obesity
THE TLC DIFFERENCE
Discover what sets TLC apart from other bariatric practices.Learn more