Pre-Operative Weight Management Goals
- reduce portion sizes
- limit or make better choices when eating out
- increase fruits, vegetables, and/or whole grains in diet
- eliminate concentrated sweets
- choose low-fat products more often
- increase activity (walking, swimming, exercise videos)
- eliminate sugary, caffeinated and/or carbonated beverages
- drink 64 oz of water each day
- take a daily multivitamin and calcium supplement
- use lowfat cooking methods (bake, broil, grill)
- Eliminate snacking or incorporate protein into snacks
- Don’t use food as a reward or comfort measure
* If returning to a weight management class please chooses 2-4 goals to focus on between now and your next WM class.
Two-Week Pre-Op Diet
Following a liquid protein-sparing, low calorie, low carbohydrate diet two weeks before surgery not only allows for some weight loss, but also has been shown to significantly reduce the size of the liver. Reducing the size of the liver provides the opportunity for a surgery that is both faster and safer.
- 4-5 liquid meal replacements per day. Use products specifically designed for bariatric patients such as Metagenics BariatrXEssentials or Bariatric Advantage. Other products may have too much sugar. Can also have sugar free gelatin for snacks.
- 64 oz per day water or other sugar free beverage, such as Crystal Light
- Multivitamin and calcium
Post-Operative Nutrition Progression
All procedures for 2 days
days 2-7; S/B days 3-14
64 oz fluid, 45-60 g protein, MVI + Calcium
weeks 1-3; S/B weeks 4-6
64 oz fluid, 60 g protein, vitamins/minerals
Band: week 4+; S/B week 7+
Soft to maintenance
64 oz fluid, 60-75 g protein, vitamins/minerals
Available Dietitian Contacts
Learn how to set current weight management goals while learning successful weight loss strategies for after bariatric surgery. ($35.00 for each class)
Pre-operative nutrition seminar covering the nutritional implications of gastric banding, gastric sleeve, and gastric bypass. Topics include vitamins and minerals, pre-operative diet, post-operative diet progression, and suggestions for common nutrition-related problems. ($50.00 group session, $75.00 private session)
Bariatric Support Group
Come meet with other bariatric patients in an informal and fun group setting. Intended for both pre- and post-op patients. Check out the calendar for upcoming meetings. (Free on the second Tuesday of every month at 6:00 pm, register with front desk or call (713) 493-7700.)
Need help getting back on track? Having specific nutrition concerns after bariatric surgery? Meet with the dietitian in a small group or one-on-one session to help you find workable solutions. ($40.00 group session, $75.00 private session)
Available Nutrition Products
a line of vitamins and minerals designed to meet the unique needs of the bariatric patients. Available for purchase at our clinic for your convenience. Please ask the physician or dietitian for specific vitamin/mineral recommendations.
Pre-operative liquid meal replacement
We have a variety of products specifically designed for bariatric patients available for purchase, including Metagenics BariatrXEssentials and Bariatric Advantage.